Often times when you think of pet dander, you think about dander that is created by cats and dogs. But did you know that birds create dander too? In fact, bird dust and feather particles can irritate your lungs or even give you allergic reactions, especially to those who are sensitive to dust and airborne particles or are asthmatics. Most bird owners or bird breeders will probably not have a sensitivity to the different species of birds they own. However, if you own many birds that are confined to smaller spaces for longer periods of time you may develop what is called Bird Breeder’s Lung or in other words, hypersensitivity pneumonitis.
Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is not only caused by birds; certain species of plants, mold spores, fungus and other types of dander and allergens can also cause you to have this condition. Keep in mind simply owning a bird may not cause Bird Breeder’s Lung, but it’s always a good idea to prevent it early on by finding the best air purifier for bird dander.
What Is An Air Purifier For Bird Dander?
An air purifier that helps eliminate bird dander will have a HEPA filter, will be environmentally safe for you and your bird and will not produce ozone. A true HEPA filter will remove 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns or greater. 0.3 microns is invisible to the human eye. Being able to remove bird dust and bird dander that small will greatly improve your air quality. Also, it’s important to have an air purifier that is safe for pets and the environment. By not producing ozone, you are ensuring a safer atmosphere for you and your pets. Be sure to also look at air purifiers that have HEPA pet dander customized filters. Customized filters may be a small upgrade, however, it will be well worth the better quality of breathable air.
Review of The Best Air Purifier for Bird Dander
There are many ozone-free, HEPA air purifiers available to consumers these days. Be sure to find a pet-friendly purifier, as well. I have reviewed several air purifiers that I believe are the best bird dander air purifiers on the market today.
Rabbit Air BIOGS 2.o
The curvaceous, sleek design of the Rabbit Air BIOGS 2.o is quite stunning. Yet what is even more stunning is the excellent performance this air purifier will have fighting bird dander and other pollutants in your home. The Rabbit Air BIOGS purifies the air in your home up to 550 square feet every two hours. It comes with a charcoal pre-filter that eliminates odors, including pet odors, smoke, and musty smells. It includes a HEPA filter that can remove even the smallest speck of bird dust at 0.3 microns or larger. This machine is environmentally safe and does not create ozone.
- HEPA filter that can be customized
- Ultra-quiet fan, virtually quiet on lowest setting
- Energy Star certified
- A bit on the pricey side
Alen BreatheSmart Fit5o
Stylish and quite effective are synonymous with the Alen BreatheSmart Fit5o HEPA Air Purifier.
This air purifier works hard to remove dust and bird dander from your home with its outstanding HEPA filter. Also, an additional upgrade to an HEPA-OdorCell Filter will eliminate odors from pets, smoke and other pesky smells that linger about your home. The HEPA filter removes dust, dander, pollen, mold spores and other particles that are 0.3 microns or larger. This leaves your air in your home fresh and breathable. Truly a bird-friendly air purifier for your home since it does not emit ozone that can be harmful to you or your birds.
- Cleans up to 800 square feet at a time
- SmartSensor Technology automatically sets your speed to your air quality
- Child Safety Lock
- Quiet WhisperMax Technology
- Energy Star certified
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Filters need to be periodically changed
Austin Air Pet Purifier
Austin specifically designed this purifier with allergy suffers and asthmatics in mind. It reduces your allergy symptoms by removing allergens, pollen pet dander, dust, mold spores, bacteria and viruses from your home. It does all of this without ozone and without hurting the environment. Its strong HEPA filter can greatly remove bird dander and other airborne pathogens from your home.
- True Medical Grade HEPA Filter
- Purifies a room up to 700 square feet
- Minimizes energy consumption
- Adjustable speeds
- Helps with respiratory issues
- Somewhat noisy
For more information on Austin’s purifiers or their other products related to pet dander please visit this website.
Other Things to Consider
For many air purifier owners, their feathered friends are the reason they have to run a purifier 24 hours a day… seven days a week. However, if you plan to keep the purifier near your bird cage there are a few things you should consider before you buy.
- Avoid Purifiers that vent out of the top of the machine. If you place a purifier next to, and below, a bird cage make sure the exhaust points away from the birds. The reason is that a top exhaust purifier will only blow falling bird dander and feathers up into the air. You want anything that falls from the cage to either fall into the purifier’s intake path… or onto the floor.
- You want a pre filter that’s easy to clean. Bird dander, feathers, etc. are huge in the eyes of your purifier. And, your pre filter will trap almost all of those things. Especially when you’re sweeping up the room. Some purifiers have washable pre filters while others can only be vacuumed. Either way if you have birds you’ll be happy if your purifier has a prefilter. And, you’ll be even happier if it’s easy to clean.
- Check the machine’s filter regularly. If you have birds you know there’s some cleanup involved. When you add a purifier into the mix, it will help reduce that cleaning burden. However, you’ll need to make sure you’re not overworking the fan. The primary cause of damage to a purifier’s fan is a clogged filter. Keep things clean and your new cleaning partner will serve you well for years to come.
- Avoid Ozone Generators or Ozone Purifiers. For bird owners we recommend simple purifiers. Stick to a HEPA filter, a Pre Filter, and maybe an Activated Carbon Filter (for odor). Things that generate ozone are not only bad for birds… their bad for anything that breathes. Including you.
It’s pretty amazing. You definitely want to avoid damaging those little lungs.
Pet dander, especially bird dander, can cause respiratory issues. Especially if your home is not cleaned well or well ventilated. An air purifier that is designed for pet dander or bird dander will greatly improve your inside air, leaving your home fresher and healthier. Each of the above products come highly recommended by their consumers and manufacturers. I love the Rabbit Air, however, any of these products will do the trick. Take a few minutes to learn a little more about these products before deciding on the best air purifier for bird dander.